Skip to main content

Hospital Trip and things not going to plan

As much as I love carnivore and taking the evolutionary approach to live sometimes you have to conceded defeat and ask a doctor for advice, modern medicine can do some things right after all. So I have recently had a few little issues that warranted a blood test and I came back as having a massive folate deficiency. I haven't been eating as much liver as I used to but it could also be through malabsorption as whilst my IBS is better it is far from perfect. With the amount I have been running I have tried to up fat and that ups the IBS and things might have spiralled from there. 

Not content with that I was also scheduled in for some minor surgery, nothing related to running or carnivore and just one of those things. You’ll be seen in the morning they told me…. well come 3:30 I was finally seen having not eaten since 3pm the day before (due to running at 7 with my club and IF) and not having drunk since 6am (as instructed).

They wheeled me into the room to perform the general and put the cannula in (though the first one didn't take), no meds yet and I started to feel light headed and dizzy. As a runner my resting pulse is pretty low, around 50-55ish, but it started to drop, 45, 40, 35, 30… and then for 5 seconds it was so low the machine read it as 0 and I blacked out, had a seizure and ripped the cannula out.
I came to with a jolt, sitting upright and with no clue what had happened. My temperature then plummeted and I felt freezing. They covered me with some magical warm blankets and something like a leaf blower that pumped hot air over me, that felt lovely. I regained my bearings and felt fine but they decided the op needed to be scrapped and now I need to be referred to cardiology. On the plus side I was in the right place for this to happen! I ended up on Oxygen and requiring 2 doses of atropine to get me back to a good place.
They are pretty sure it is nothing serious and all my bloods and an ECG came back normal. Could just be low electrolytes and dehydration so when the op gets rescheduled maybe I will be first on the list? So now I am due to get an echo followed by more blood tests and a 24 hour ECG.

First priorities are growing the hair back on my arm and getting over the stinking cold I caught in hospital. The whole episode left me feeling very drained and needing a lot of rest.


So for now breaking 17 minutes has taken a step back. I intend to get myself feeling great again, monitor blood pressure, pulse and SPo2 etc. and build the running back up. I have taken some sick leave and have AL to use up so should be recovered and good to go in a few weeks and some easy weeks with slow running shouldn't hurt my fitness significantly.... It is the menta fitness that could suffer but I have the processes from the confident mind to keep me fit, fast and strong and I am sticking to my daily routines.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Nutrition and how I got here:

 My nutrition is very important to me, as it should be. The saying:  "You can't outrun a bad diet"  Is certainly right for me, I seem to only have to sniff something off my standard lifestyle and I gain a few pounds. Feel free to keep reading but a good background to my approach is the following video. You can break my history down into the following phases:  Childhood - Was active and ate what I like but got away with it.  16+ - Ate rubbish and decreased activity so my weight went up to around 20 stone.  End of 2014 - Went low carb and lost weight quickly, by the end of the year I was 154 down from 263lbs.  2016 - 2017 - My weight remained pretty stable although I added more nuts, cream and things like Grenade bars. During the start of 2017 I marathon trained and got injured but continued to eat like I was marathon training so gained weight.  2018 - Complete write off. I stayed low carb but "dirty" with things like keto cakes and the other things I mentione

Primal Endurance

My Score - 9/10 Key Area's covered: Running by Feel, MAF, Strength, Barefoot Key Positives: Great blueprint for getting started. "Primal Endurance" is aimed to be a ground-breaking guide that revolutionizes the way we approach endurance training, offering a refreshing and effective alternative to conventional methods. This book was the original inspiration for changing my training methodology after a few years of constant injuries. Authored by Mark Sisson and Brad Kearns, the book presents a comprehensive blueprint for achieving peak performance while embracing the primal principles of ancestral health. As is my guiding principle, health leads to performance (it might just take a little longer!). Sisson and Kearns skilfully marry their expertise in endurance training with the ancestral wisdom of our hunter-gatherer ancestors. The result is a holistic approach that prioritizes intuitive training, emphasizing the importance of aerobic development through MAF training and me

Episode 212 - Ben Livesey

Episode 212 - Ben Livesey (British marathon debutant and prospect Ben Livesey  Here I listened to this episode of the podcast 10 years after it was released to see what training or just general information I could glean from it now that I am a more experienced runner and coach, I mean 10 years ago I was obese and eating rubbish.  Age isn't a barrier So my first observation was the longevity of some runners, they were talking about how well Galen Rupp is going and this weekend he is hoping to qualify for another Olympics. Just goes to show that age isn't a huge barrier, and for those of us that didn't run when we were younger we could still have many years of improvement and for us "high level" performance ahead.  Impact of flying / travel and recovery One of the hosts had to travel and as a result ended up with stiff legs. Just to remind everyone to be careful to their body and sometimes forgo a rigid schedule - as per Percy Cerutty " Rigid schedules… and lai